Sunday, December 03, 2006

persistence

"Persistent prayer keeps bringing God and me together, with several important benefits. As I pour out my soul to God, I get it off my chest, so to speak, unloading some of my burden to One who can handle it better. Little by little, as I get to know God I learn that God has nothing in common with an unjust judge or a stingy neighbour, though at times it may seem so. What I learn from spending time with God then better equips me to discern what God wants me to do on earth, as well as my role in that plan."

"Like a child who quits badgering a parent, I have sometimes found that I get an answer to my persistent request after I have learned to without it. The answer then comes as a surprise, an unecpected gift of grace. I seek the gift, find instead the Giver, and eventually come away with the gift I no longer seek."


Philip Yancey's Prayer

No comments: