Sunday, November 26, 2006

May the peoples praise you, O God; may all the peoples praise you.

Some would know that this semester has been the hardest semester of school in my life. It beats year 1 sem 1. Perhaps it's because of the 2 level 4000 modules I am taking, on top of the fact that this is the first semester that I'm taking 4 English modules. I've been rather maxed out by schoolwork that I seriously don't think I want to go through year 4. Then again, realistically speaking, I don't think I would even qualify.

Yes, I am thankful I'm in NUS. A chance to study in one of the top 25 universities of the world (though some may beg to differ) is really granted by the grace of God. And, although schoolwork stresses me out to the max, I do enjoy what I am learning. I think my thinking has been sharpened and my writing polished. (with stress on 'I think')

And yes, I do enjoy vcf tons. I can say that my cf friends are the closest friends I have ever had. I would be a very aimless adeline without them all.. Shan't even attempt to mention names, because they are too many. From my batch who entered the thursday cgs together as freshies, to people I've served together in various committees, to people from cross faculties, to chance meetings, to wise and caring seniors, to bubbly juniors... the list goes on. Nothing beats serving, praying, questioning the same God.

Gosh. I sound like I am writing my farewell speech.

But in the midst of all the I-want-school-to-end-now thoughts, God has been doing a very special work. It's rather ironic that in the semester that I am the weakest, He is doing the most breakthroughs. It is these breakthroughs that always push my back in focus of my purpose in NUS.

It started off small, with my Jap friend A. We started off lunch small talk with me chattering about Jap food and fashion (yes, I couldn't think of anything better to talk about.), she not saying much. As the semester progressed, she started opening up more and talking a whole lot more, to the point that there were times I wanted to get back to an assignment, but seeing how open she was, I decided to just enjoy the company.

The last Fellowship Teaching saw a student from last year's batch of Chinese SM3 scholars, giving a testimony of how he found God through the camp and later the English Speaking Corner. Hearing that he was baptised last month, and how he wanted to join this year's SM3 orientation camp to help out, both flo and I agreed that all the crazy planning and hiccups we went through last year was worth every frenzy, prayer and sleepless night. It warmed my heart to see how it truly is in God's time that fruit is borne.

As if that was not enough, I bumped into one of my Chinese friends from my ESC group, last month. He actually offered to help out at this year's SM3 orientation camp and was disappointed on finding out that he wouldn't be in S'pore then. But, he quickly offered to join my ESC group next year. And on top of that, said he wanted to join a vcf cg. I was rather blown away.

What made me extremely excited was Jig's call last friday, to tell me that M, a fellow E-lang major on exchange from Canada, expressed interest in accepting Christ. The co-labouring with Jig and prayers were actually bearing fruit. It's not that I don't believe that God answers prayers. It's just that I never thought I'd get to harvest them.

It was really amusing on wed to have lunch with 3 non-christian friends. And as I always do, I gave thanks to God for my food and asked God for a good time with them, before proceeding to tuck into my meal.

I was stunned when my friend J looked at me queerly and asked,

J: Why do you pray so fast?
Me: *eyes open very big* Huh? What do you mean by 'pray so fast'?
J: How come you never pray outloud?
Me: I.. er... you want me to pray outloud??
(I turned and faced all three. Each had this look of expectance on his/her face.)
Me: er. ok, er.. I'd say grace for all of us, ya?

And so I gave thanks for the food.

Ok, so maybe you are wondering why I am typing all this. You see, out of that lunch, I found out that the two guys were sitting for their English qualifying exam on friday(yesterday). One of them, David, was dead certain he was going to fail. I told him, that the more he said he was going to fail, he would. So I told him to tell himself, "I can do it! I WILL pass! My English is good!" each time he felt like he was going to fail. And promised to pray for him.

I just checked my gmail to see this:

Hi Adeline,

First, thank you for your praying!!! I will pass it,...but next sem a tougher one will come to me. I don't know how many exams you have, but anyway all the best for all your exams. Although I don't know how to pray for you, I can help you: if you don't know how to answer questions in the exam, do sms me, I will definately reply immediately,hahahaha,trust me!

I'm going home on Dec 6th. Of cause I'll be back. But just want to know whether you have msn or blog or other online contacts so that i can get in touch with when I'm at home. My msn is... and by the way, if you are free, you may want to pay a visit to my "infant" blog, and of cause you can comment whatever you want there; no matter positive or negative comments, feel free to give. hehe,i won't be angry with you,...because your name is also there.

Finally, again best wishes for your exams, and also Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance (coz i'm afraid to forget to wish you after I leave Singapore)

Regards,
David
aka Zong Liang

So, to David, this entry is for you. I mentioned your name too;)

And to the rest of my readers, I am not boasting to show all the brownie points I think I am chalking up in heaven. If everything has been going smoothly for me this semester, I would be inclined to think that all these breakthroughs are a result of my effort. But it's precisely because school has never been such a struggle that it is so clear that this is all God's work. Just as in 2 Corinthians 12:9,

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

For us who are in the midst of exams, and to everyone else be it at work, school or play, let's remember our purpose:

Psalm 67

For the director of music. With stringed instruments. A psalm. A song.
May God be gracious to us and bless us
and make his face shine upon us,
Selah

that your ways may be known on earth,
your salvation among all nations.

May the peoples praise you, O God;
may all the peoples praise you.

May the nations be glad and sing for joy,
for you rule the peoples justly
and guide the nations of the earth.
Selah

May the peoples praise you, O God;
may all the peoples praise you.

Then the land will yield its harvest,
and God, our God, will bless us.

God will bless us,
and all the ends of the earth will fear him.

6 comments:

crayon said...

God's so awesome!

you know one of my christian classmate (who always used to say that she has never touch the bible more than 2 times in her entire life) actually agreed to have bible study about basic christian living with another one of my christian classmate! *yeah*

crayon said...

forgot to add: Jia U for your exams!

Anonymous said...

Haha, is it a sort of taking revenge???hehe, anyway i just want to add some of my friends' blog addresses to my new blog so that i can build it up.
Although i'm not a christian and i don't know how to pray for you, and of cause i can't text you when you are doing your exam :-), the only thing i can do is "加油(jia you!!!)" " You can pass it!"
Oh, of cause you don't wanna just "pass" them, right?haha

Anonymous said...

hey addy! not sure if u rembr me.. found ur blog through ms's blog. angelene here.. we attended JI for a while back then. anyways, it's SO AMAZING to hear of what God has been doing in ur life n ministry!! :) really encourages me.. continue to shine for Christ! take care sis!

-angelene

Anonymous said...

hi ades. when is year 4 starting for u?

purplecross said...

reina: God is awesome.. esp at times when we least expect.

david: no lah. this is not revenge. it's always nice to see your name on someone's blog... no?

angelene: of course i rmbr you! in fact i know you n ms are housemates:) JI times were carefree times... rite ms? heh.

ms: when does year 4 start for me?? that's only IF i even decide to take on year 4. but if i do, it'd be aug07. yup. heh. now you are ms lee? for a moment i was wondering how ocme i have a teacher here..