Wednesday, November 15, 2006

break me

A friend shared something with me on Sunday, which at that time, didn't really sink in. I guess it was meant for today.

She shared that God really spoke to her through the story of the five loaves and two fishes from Elisabeth Elliot's Passion and Purity:

One morning I was reading the story of Jesus' feeding of the five thousand. The disciples could find only five loaves of bread and two fishes. "Let me have them," said Jesus. He asked for all. He took them, said the blessing, and broke them before He gave them out. I remembered what a chapel speaker, Ruth Stull from Peru, had said: "If my life is broken when given to Jesus, it is because pieces will feed a multitude, while a loaf will satisfy only a little lad."

As a song goes,

As bread that is broken, use our lives
As wine that is poured out, a willing sacrifice.
Empower us Father to share the love of Christ
As bread that is broken, Lord, use our lives.

If I live my life the way I want it, it feeds only one.

But, if my life is broken, and I allow Jesus to have it, it can feed a multitude.

No comments: