Tuesday, November 07, 2006

wash me clean as snow

It breaks my heart utterly to read of another Christian in the spotlight for the wrong reason.

Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
blot out my transgressions.

It's impossible to live a perfect life. I should know.

Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin.

Anyone should know actually. How is one to live a life without any sin?

For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is always before me.

Although we humans have that hypocritical tendency to grade our sins, yet in God's eyes, a sin is a sin. If you cannot reach his standard of perfection, you are a sinner.

Surely I was sinful at birth,
sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

You may think I'm being simplistic and naive. But tis' not true? I can only pray that God will turn this ugly thing into something beautiful.

Surely you desire truth in the inner parts;
you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.

It can get rather ugly when a Christian leader commits a sexual sin. Somehow, embezzling funds does not sound as sinful as a gay tryst coupled with drug abuse.

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Throw in politics with this week's American elections and you have a worldwide sensational news-story.

Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.

And you recall how King David had an affair with Bathsheeba, the wife of a loyal soldier, Uriah. Afraid that his sin would be found out, King David had Uriah 'murdered' by sending him to the frontline to fight.

Hide your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquity.

And yet, God called David a "man after His own heart".

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me

I do not know how God will turn this into something beautiful. But, I do know that this pastor is probably sleeping more peacefully at night these days, despite all the media hype.

Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.

I also know that God has forgiven him just as He has forgiven each one of us. God loves you and will never leave you nor forsake you.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

The burden of a hidden sin now lifted, brings joy to one, when it comes to light. More importantly, joy that can only come from God.

Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will turn back to you.

And God will make this beautiful. As difficult as it may seem, he is using this to turn people back to Him. To let them know He loves them, and only He can heal them.

Save me from bloodguilt, O God,
the God who saves me,
and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.

O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.

You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart,
O God, you will not despise.

In your good pleasure make Zion prosper;
build up the walls of Jerusalem.

Then there will be righteous sacrifices,
whole burnt offerings to delight you;
then bulls will be offered on your altar.

~ Psalm 51

Evangelical confesses to 'sexual immorality'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mommy, my heart broke when i read it too :(
but thank God for His unfailing love, His unfailing grace & mercy.

nut